To Root cuttings have always been a tough task for many gardeners. However, with the correct knowledge, it is as easy as getting a plant from a nursery. By following some basic techniques we can easily get great success in rooting.
How to get successful Propagation in Soil
Following steps need to be followed to get great success in rooting.
- Locate a spot from where the cutting is cut from a plant. Find the node area on the stem of the plant. And cut the stem 1-2 cm below the node of the stem. Using a clean sharp and sterilized blade.
- Leave the sitting in the shaded area for an hour or two to allow the formation of a dry area on the end of cutting to avoid the chances of fungus.
- For the best results, use a rooting hormone to assure we get maximum chances of success in rooting.
- The most important part of this process is the selection of soil. the best media for rooting is Cocopeat. It is an artificial media used in place of soil to increase the chances of rooting and avoid a fungus attack.
- Keep the cutting in a shaded location for 2-4 weeks depending on the plant to plant and maintain the moisture in the pot. But do not overwater.
- As soon as the roots are 3 to 4 inches, repot the cutting and keep in the same location for 2 days and then place in bright light for further growth. Do not use a too big pot for the initial root growth.
How to get successful Propagation in Water
Propagation o softwood cuttings can be done in water very easily. the whole process remains the same as propagation in soil, Just the difference is that the softwood plants do better in water than any soil media.
Plants like Arrowhead, Money plant, Etc propagate well in water. the only thing we should keep in mind is to change the water every 4 to 5 days.
The key point to Propagate
- Always use the clean blade to make a sharp cut on the stem to take a cutting. Any bacteria or fungus on the blade will cause cutting to die.
- Keep the soil moist but not soggy.
- use any rooting hormone to get the best results.
- place the cutting with pot in a plastic bag to form an artificial poly house to provide a better atmosphere.
- Take care to never disturb or shifted till they root.